I was a receptionist today. Something I haven't done much of, but definitely an occupation that I now have a lot more respect for. The place I worked at required me to request 'Sales' answer a specific line, and this was done over a PA system.
After getting used to the sound of my voice being blasted over the entire warehouse, I began to enjoy the experience.
People are usually nice to the receptionist, every now and then you have one or two people who decide they are much too good to be nice to the receptionist, but 99% of the time everyone is really nice.
My brain is now dead, four weeks of studying and watching Ellen didn't allow for 8 hours of actual work where I had to constantly be nice to people. I had to control myself from walking in the front door and heading straight for the bed. I was a good girl and controlled myself - after all, I'm a working woman now, I work 8 hour days with no trouble.
Starting Tuesday is job number two (I need a three day weekend after working a full day), again working in reception, which I'm beginning to enjoy...also I like the idea that the receptionist is the first person to leave. I can not remember the last time I was the first person to leave, in fact in the past if I even thought to myself '5pm, I'm leaving on time today' this usually meant the boss would call or a sudden drama would occur requiring me to work til late.
If being the receptionist means leaving at 4.30/45pm in the afternoon everyday, well maybe its my calling. Or maybe not.
However, I'm glad I'm getting paid, it means I can continue planning the wedding without feeling that an unemployed bum has no right to look at wedding dresses.
Tonight is Pho night. Mmmm pho. This is not said 'fo', its sort of pronounced 'fer' but with a short 'r', like how army people might say 'sir'. Make sense? Of course it does, I am nothing if not a sense making person.
Pho is the food of champions for all Vietnamese, and it is rather marvellous. My pho of choice is chicken - chicken stock, shredded chicken, coriander, sprouts, mint, squeeze of lime, fresh chillies, rice noodles. Delicious, and ridiculously cheap. In Australia its around $12 for dinner, in Vietnam its about $3... I can't see the price in Oz ever getting quite as low as Vietnam, but I won't complain about a $12 dinner.
I loved Vietnam, what a fantastic country. Although I have to admit, I thought after our holiday there I was going to return by myself and my beloved was going to run off with a Vietnamese girl - they are very attractive and rather good at flirting. However, I managed to wrestle him onto the plane (after I secured him to the bags with a pair of handcuffs) and now we're engaged. Meant to be.
Tomorrow its a bridal makeup trial, and conveniently I have made it late in the afternoon as we are heading off to a 30th birthday with karaoke. Two good things about that, one I don't have to do my makeup, second is karaoke. Love it. Sadly, my beloved doesn't have the same passion for karaoke, in fact any passion about it would possibly be absolute contempt. Am I being harsh? I'll let you be the judge.
No comments:
Post a Comment